04 June 2012

A Week in Paradise: Maui

Shaded Hammocks + Towering Palm Trees

I was ecstatic when my parents told me we were going to Maui for Spring Break! Then I was suddenly worried... I had built up a Hawaiian vacation so much in my head that I began thinking that it couldn't possibly live up to my expectations. I didn't want to ruin the magic that I believed to be Hawaii. On the first day of spring break, we left for our vacation from the stress and headaches of school and work. Our trip was off to a less than stellar start,  beginning with not one but two cancelled flights, forcing us to fly first to San Francisco, then to Las Vegas, and finally to Maui, arriving at Wailea airport just after midnight. Hello jet-lag... 



Handmade leis + coconut shortbread, green tea gelee, chocolate crackle cookies, and traditional Hawaiian coconut clouds (my personal favorite!) 




We were pleasantly greeted by purple, sweet-smelling leis at the airport. This, along with the wonderful dessert tray that was awaiting us in our hotel room, made us forget all about the seven hour layover in two different airports just a bit earlier. 





The Four Season's Resort: Maui is truly what made the trip so wonderful. Every morning, me and my mom woke up early and headed to the gorgeous beach for ocean front yoga. Then we met up with my dad and sister for breakfast at the Duo buffet, which was exotic and delightful. From fluffy banana macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup to vegetable fried rice and chinese dumplings to an array of croissants and other fruity and chocolatey pastries, this breakfast was truly spectacular. 


Sunrise on the Beach 

Ahh the beach... The minute you step one foot onto the golden sand, a gorgeous beach boy greets you with a warm Aloha and sets up a long beach chair facing the shore, complete with a small table, towels, and a big yellow umbrella. The water is clear and cool, such a relief from the hot sun - also a relief from the sun are the cool wet face towels that the beach boys bring to your chair every hour or so. What is so perfect about the Four Seasons Resort, is that they think of everything so that all you have to do is sit back and relax with a good book and good food. You're almost forced to forget all of your worries and just let your stress melt away. They have little stands set up along the beach and throughout the resort that have sunscreen with little cups to carry it back to your chair in, icy water with cucumbers or citrus slices, and  Evian Mineral Water Spray cans. Its a little oasis to rescue you from the heat of the sun. Go snorkeling, canoeing, or paddle boarding, but the most fun way to spend the day is jumping waves and reading a good book. So simple, but so much fun when the water is beautiful and the low roar of the ocean can turn any book into a wonderful adventure. 


Delightful food at the Old Lahaina Luau




Honey Mint Lemonade + Lovely Flower Ring (just for fun!)
 Our time spent in Maui was the best week of my young life. It was both relaxing and exciting. In the evenings, me and my mom would go to the spa to use the (free of charge) Eucalyptus Steam Room. The minute I stepped into this small sauna, I thought I might die. Literally. I was overwhelmed with the minty, abrasive sensation from the eucalyptus steam. I was choking, but stuck it out because of how soothing the steam promised to be. After steaming for a few minutes, my mom and I realized that we weren't alone in that tiny room. Slowly emerging from the darkest, steamy corner, a plump little  middle-aged woman dripping in sweat slugged over to the exit door. That certainly explains the gulping and guzzling sounds we heard earlier (we assumed it was the machines!) Instead of exiting the hot sauna, this unstable woman looks toward the ceiling, clasps her hands, and in a heavy exhale, manages to shudder, in a low muzzled tone, "Thank you, Jehovah... hmph..ugh...gulp..." then, at last, exits the overwhelming heat. Once she was finally gone, me and my mom burst in laughter at the sheer absurdity of that bizarre experience. Hah we still can't get over the mixed feeling that she was either going to pass out or kill us.

Fresh Mangos

Pretty Pretty Milk Cartons


"I'll Have One Large Slice of Hula Pie, Please."
 In case you're wondering, Hula Pie from Kimo's is absolutely the most decadent ice cream dessert ever. Don't believe me? Well... the crunchy, chocolatey crust is made of OREOs, topped with silky macadamia nut ice cream, then drizzled with dark chocolate syrup and finally finished with fresh whipped cream and even more macadamia nuts... whoa. One person can not eat all of this, but it is just perfect for sharing among four. The "Hula Pie" plate was just so cute that we had to buy one in the Kimo's gift shop. (!)

Mango + Coconut Shave Ice from Ululani's
{Made with Fresh Fruit, YUM!} 


So Sad to Leave this Beautiful Vacay! #YOLO

 Aloha! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add it